The location of the monastery, built in 1496 by the Dominicans, is extraordinary: on the extremity of the Sestri Levante peninsula, it is perched on the sea, two sides face the Baia del Silenzio, the third the open sea.
In 1867 the structure was acquired by a private charity institution and turned into a maritime settlement, until 1982.
The current building is the result of many renovations. It keeps, however, some original features like the apsis, the paintings and the rib vault in the church, the cloister and many plasters. The monastery, once named Colonia Tagliaferro, belonged to the municipalities of Biella and Casale, and has recently been acquired by the municipality of Sestri Levante.
The renovation, run by the architect Carlo Berio, was aimed at recovering the original features of the building. The renewal made it possible to have equipped areas, usable as venues for traditional and interactive education. The property includes a big concert hall with 300 seats, conference rooms, libraries, offices and common areas.
The three balconies perched on the sea together with the garden take up around 1100 square meters. It is possible to host more than one event at the same time, thanks to the shape of the building.